Prior to going Paleo I used to make a dish that a friend of mine taught to me that involved scattering breadcrumbs over asparagus and roasting it. It gave the asparagus a nice flavor and texture and I absolutely loved it, but obviously that was out once I took the bread part out of my diet.
I've tried just scattering almond flour over my asparagus, and even adding herbs, but it just didn't have the same appeal. Then it hit me – make some breadcrumbs! So this dish is what came about from that revelation, and I think you will be quite pleased with the result. The thyme and salt in these Paleo and gluten-free “breadcrumbs” give the asparagus a fuller flavor and this dish pairs nicely with all sorts of main dishes. Burgers, meatballs, grilled chicken, chicken piccata, grilled or baked salmon.. I can't think of too much it wouldn't work with.
When you make this, you need to do it in two steps. First you will need to make the breadcrumbs. All this is is mixing together a few ingredients and baking it for 15 minutes. Then you will need to roast the asparagus and add the breadcrumbs in the last few minutes to toast a bit. The breadcrumbs however can be made earlier in the day or even earlier in the week, so this is a great one to serve company too and not have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen while your company is over.
When you mix the breadcrumbs it will look sort of like this (I just am pointing this out so you aren't confused by what the process should look like, since it's different than a lot of Paleo and even any other cooking). Basically, crumbly and just a bit moist. Also note, these are pretty big crumbles. You will break these apart with your hands after they bake, so don't be alarmed thinking this is the finished size.
The result is small, toasted, seasoned breadcrumbs that make the asparagus super yummy!
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Don't blame me for your stinky pee though 🙂
Roasted Asparagus with (Paleo) Breadcrumbs
For the breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 1 tbs Arrowroot Flour
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/8 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tbs Chicken Stock (or water)
- 1/2 tsp Olive Oil
For the Asparagus
- 1-2 lb Asparagus
- 2 tbs Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest (approx half a lemon)
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the breadcrumbs, place on a baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the breadcrumbs are cooling, adjust the oven temp to 450 F.
- Trim the tough ends off of the asparagus, place on a baking sheet, and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Roast for 7 minutes.
- Towards the end of the 7 minutes, crumble the breadcrumbs (which should have cooled enough by now to touch) with your hands into small crumbs.
- Remove from the asparagus from the oven, stir, and then sprinkle the breadcrumbs over it. Put back in the oven for another 2-3 minutes (depending on the thickness of your asparagus).
- Remove from the oven again and sprinkle the lemon zest over the asparagus.
- Serve immediately.