This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These Paleo molasses cookies with a maple cream filling are incredible and you'd never know that they were Paleo, gluten-free, and dairy-free! They are like a gingerbread Oreo-cookie. So delicious. Perfect for Christmas and the holidays!
Every year around this time I love to have a holiday cookie making party. And the cookie that ALWAYS had to be made was a fabulous chewy molasses cookie via a recipe of Martha Stewart's. To make it even more incredible, I always sandwiched two together with a creamy filling, so it was a wonderful gingerbread-y spiced oreo.
Unfortunately once I discovered I was Celiac I couldn't make the cookie any longer. (This was one of those cookies I still made even after going Paleo because it was THAT good and I figured the cheat was worth it). But the Celiac disease thing totally nixed it. So this year I made it my mission to recreate the cookie without gluten, and figured if I was going that far, that I would make it Paleo.
After numerous attempts I finally got it, and it is ah-MAZ-ing if I do say so myself! The cookie is chewy (and stays chewy for several days!) and I honestly think it tastes just like the original! (You know how some things taste like they are meant for a special diet, this isn't one of them). It's just a crazy amount of deliciousness.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
More Helpful AIP & Paleo Resources in the Freebie Library
If you find this recipe helpful, you may really enjoy the resources in my Paleo & AIP Freebie Library! There's a “dump” freezer meal plan, a list of AIP-compliant breakfast toppings, and so much more. Plus, you'll get even more ideas sent to your inbox! Get the password here.
Molasses Cookies with Maple Cream Frosting Recipe
If you make these cookies, I'd love to hear how they turned out! Either comment below or share a pic on Instagram and tag me @thrivingonpaleo!
Molasses Cookies with Maple Cream Frosting
For the molasses cookies:
- 1/2 cup Palm Shortening
- 1 cup Coconut Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- 2 tbs Coconut Oil melted
- 2 cups Almond Flour
- 1 cup Tapioca Flour
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
For the Maple Cream Filling:
- 1 cup Palm Shortening
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 tbs Vanilla Extract
- pinch Sea Salt
For the Molasses Cookies:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment (or in a bowl using a hand mixer), mix the palm shortening and coconut sugar on medium speed until smooth. This takes about 3 minutes. It won’t get super creamy but will get smooth.
- Add the eggs and mix, followed by the molasses and coconut oil.
- Reduce the speed to low and gradually add in the flours, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and salt.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Scoop out walnut-sized amounts of dough and roll into a ball. Place about 3 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Leave in the ball shape for best results (they will flatten out). Bake until cookies are set, about 17 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.
For the Maple Cream frosting filling:
- In a bowl with a hand mixer on medium-high speed, mix all of the filling ingredients until fluffy.
- Use a spatula or knife to spread on the bottom of one molasses cookie and then place another molasses cookie on top to make a sandwich.
This was originally posted as a guest post on Cook It Up Paleo