Easy to whip up weeknight dinner recipe? Check. Mouthwatering layers of flavor due to olives, peppers, salami, and pickled veggies? Check. Compliant with Whole30 or just plain Paleo, Primal, or Gluten-free diets? Check.
Meet the dish I call Muffuletta Chicken.
I lived in New Orleans for 18 months in my twenties and one of my favorite things about that experience was all of the incredible food I ate. Cuisine there is just amazing and there are so many regional flavors that are just not found in other places. I'm not sure that if I hadn't had that time there that I'd be as into food as I am now.
I came up with this dish after craving one of New Orleans' famous olive salad sandwiches one day. But not being IN New Orleans any longer, nor being able to eat the bread component of the sandwich anyway, I decided to use the flavors and ingredients of the sandwich to come up with a totally new dish. I'm really pleased with how it came out and my family (whom are my main critics) love it as well.
See the short, no-speaking recipe tutorial and then get the recipe below!
Can't see the video? Watch Paleo Muffuletta Chicken
Paleo Mufuletta Chicken
- 1/4 Red Onion
- 1/4 cup Green Olives
- 1/4 cup Black Olives
- 1/2 cup Pickled Vegetables cauliflower, peppers, etc, often canned as “Giardiniera”
- 1 tbs Banana Peppers
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1/8 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1/8 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/8 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tbs Coconut Oil melted
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 2 oz Sliced Salami
- 1. Preheat oven to 375° F. In a food processor, mix all of the ingredients except the chicken, salt, pepper, and salami until everything is finely chopped.
- 2. Generously season chicken with salt and pepper and place in a baking dish.
- 3. Top each piece of chicken with several slices of salami and then a large scoop of olive salad.
- 4. Bake for 30 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
*I originally posted this as a guest post at Planks Love and Guacamole
Get MORE inspo!
Want inspiration for using the Paleo & AIP diets to find relief from your autoimmune disease (and making it all easier) delivered directly to your email inbox?