This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
If you're missing graham crackers, try these! Gluten-free, Paleo, and AIP friendly, they're full of flavor, make a great snack or dessert, and even can be used for s'mores!
I don't know about you, but graham crackers were an essential part of my childhood and something I feel is quite important in the summer to create s'mores! But other than a few gluten-free packaged offerings, there weren't many I found to be good once we changed our diets – especially no Paleo or AIP ones.
This all changed when I created this recipe! Read below for more info on how they came to be, how to use them to make s'mores, and more!
Table of contents
Why I made Paleo and AIP Graham Crackers
Parker, from the amazing Lovebird Cereal, decided to have a recipe contest (with the winner getting to choose a childhood charity of their choice to donate $1000) and the only stipulation was that we use his cereal in the recipe.
I actually tried a few different things (including a lemon tart that I may share later) but these graham crackers were my definite favorite!
They use unsweetened Lovebird Cereal, which is grain-free, gluten-free, and AIP-friendly!! You can grab some Lovebird cereal here and make sure to use code THRIVING10 for 10% off your first purchase.
How to make these AIP graham crackers
Once you have the ingredients for this recipe it's really simple to make.
• Preheat the oven
• Add the cereal, cinnamon, and sea salt to a food processor and pulse until the crumbs are all about the same size – about 30 seconds. If you do not have a food processor you can also use a blender or you can put the cereal in a plastic bag and use a meat tenderizer or cup to crush the cereal into crumbs, then use a hand mixer or spoon to mix the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl.
• Add the rest of the ingredients and combine with the food processor
• Spread on a cookie sheet, using your hands to form it into a square about 1/4-inch thick
• Bake for 8-10 minutes
Of course one of the best uses of graham crackers are s'mores, which luckily is quite easy to do with this recipe.
You can make the graham crackers up to a week ahead of time and store them at room temperature.
And then you can either make the marshmallows (I like this recipe) or buy Sweet Apricity AIP-friendly ones.
And as for the chocolate – if you're not on AIP just use whatever chocolate bar suits you for whatever eating style you currently are on. But if you're on AIP I love making the “chocolate” carob chips from my favorite AIP cookie recipe but instead of cutting it into chunks, cutting it into bars. (Note, you will need to keep these refrigerated or in a cooler if taking them camping, etc)
Put the three together for camping or summer cookout heaven! I so wish I had known about these the first time I did AIP as I specifically remember watching my family eat s'mores while camping and feeling left out. No more!!
Notes on these graham crackers
Just some helpful things to keep in mind with these graham crackers:
• They last about a week once baked, but keep them at room temperature as they'll get soggy if put in the fridge
• They make approximately 4 three-inch square crackers. You can of course make them bigger or smaller as you wish, but watch out for making them too thin as they won't stay together well for s'mores if they're too thin
• If you use one of the other Lovebird Cereals they will still work, but the flavor may be a bit different. You do still need the honey though if you use a sweetened cereal as it helps to bind the crackers together
• Unfortunately this recipe cannot be made coconut-free as there is coconut in the cereal to begin with
More Helpful AIP & Paleo Resources in the Freebie Library
If you find this recipe helpful, you may really enjoy the resources in my Paleo & AIP Freebie Library! There's a “dump” freezer meal plan, a list of AIP-compliant breakfast toppings, and so much more. Plus, you'll get even more ideas sent to your inbox! Get the password here.
Graham Cracker Recipe
I hope you enjoy these graham crackers! If you make them I'd love to hear how it turned out! Either comment below or share a pic on Instagram and tag me @thrivingonpaleo!
Graham Crackers (Paleo, AIP)
- 2 cups Unsweetened Lovebird Cereal
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch Sea Salt
- 3 tbsp Palm Shortening
- ¼ cup Coconut Sugar
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Add the cereal, cinnamon, and sea salt to a food processor and pulse for about 30-seconds or until the crumbs are approximately the same size.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process for 1-minute. The mixture may not have come into a ball, but it should stick together if you press it together between your fingers.
- Dump the contents of the food processor onto the baking sheet and form into a lump, then flatten it with the palms of your hands into a square, approximately ¼ inch thick.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the top is browned. Remove from the oven, let cool, then carefully cut into squares using a sharp chef’s knife.