This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Paleo asparagus soup is unique due to the pancetta and tarragon that gives it such vibrant flavor. Dairy-free and Whole30 friendly with AIP variation
Asparagus… It may make your pee stink but it sure is yummy.
We've eaten this soup for years so it was time I included the recipe for you.
This asparagus soup is special in that it has a deep, salty flavor from the pancetta and a fresh, almost surprising flavor from the tarragon. It is light but filling.
To make AIP-friendly:
It is a Paleo & Whole30 soup but can be made AIP Diet-friendly (Autoimmune Paleo) if you look for pancetta that doesn't include nightshades (most do) or if you replace the pancetta with bacon.
And also make sure you omit the black pepper for AIP too.
Easy Prep, Freeze and Reheat
Refrigerate for up to 5 days, or freeze in 1.5-2 cup portions in quart sized freezer bags and lay flat in your freezer. Or alternatively, freeze in 1-2 cup Souper Cubes or silicone muffin trays and once frozen, pop out and store in a freezer-safe container or bag. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
More Helpful AIP & Paleo Resources in the Freebie Library
If you find this recipe helpful, you may really enjoy the resources in my Paleo & AIP Freebie Library! There's a “dump” freezer meal plan, a list of AIP-compliant breakfast toppings, and so much more. Plus, you'll get even more ideas sent to your inbox! Get the password here.
Asparagus Soup Recipe
If you make this soup, I'd love to hear how it turned out! Either comment below or share a pic on Instagram and tag me @thrivingonpaleo!
- 2 tbs Butter (Ghee, or Coconut Oil)
- 1.5 oz Pancetta (diced (bacon for AIP))
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 12 oz Asparagus (cut into small pieces)
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 tsp Fresh Parsley (chopped)
- 2 tbs Fresh Tarragon (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Pepper to taste (omit for AIP)
- In a large pot, melt the butter, ghee, or oil.
- Add the onion and pancetta, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and stir for 1 minute.
- Add stock and cover. Simmer on low for 10 minutes or until the asparagus is tender.
- Add the parsley, tarragon, coconut milk, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Using an immersion blender or working in batches and transferring to a blender, puree the soup.
- Return to the pot and warm thoroughly. Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve garnished with tarragon or parsley.
Make vegetarian by omitting the pancetta and using vegetable stock instead. Still yummy!
You May Also Like:
This recipe was included in Phoenix Helix's AIP Recipe Roundtable 71.