Asparagus… It may make your pee stink but it sure is yummy.
We've eaten this soup for years so it was time I included the recipe for you. This soup is special in that it has a deep, salty flavor from the pancetta and a fresh, almost surprising flavor from the tarragon. It is light but filling.
It is a Paleo soup but can be made Autoimmune Paleo if you look for pancetta that doesn't include nightshades (most do) or if you replace the pancetta with bacon. And also make sure you omit the black pepper for AIP too.
See my short, no-speaking video tutorial here or continue down below for the recipe.
(If you can't see the video, go to Paleo Asparagus Soup Recipe )
A creamy but dairy-free soup that's Paleo, Whole30 and can easily be made AIP-compliant.
- 2 tbs Butter, Ghee, or Coconut Oil
- 1.5 oz Pancetta, diced
- 1 Onion, diced
- 12 oz Asparagus, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 tsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 2 tbs Fresh Tarragon, chopped
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt the butter, ghee, or oil.
- Add the onion and pancetta, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and stir for 1 minute.
- Add stock and cover. Simmer on low for 10 minutes or until the asparagus is tender.
- Add the parsley, tarragon, coconut milk, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Using an immersion blender or working in batches and transferring to a blender, puree the soup.
- Return to the pot and warm thoroughly. Season with more salt and pepper if desired. Serve garnished with tarragon or parsley.
Make AIP-compliant by replacing the pancetta with bacon and omitting the black pepper.
Make vegetarian by omitting the pancetta and using vegetable stock instead. Still yummy!
Keywords: Paleo, Whole30, dinner, AIP
This recipe was included in Phoenix Helix's AIP Recipe Roundtable 71.