These super flavorful turkey meatballs are delicious served over sweet potato noodles. They’re Paleo and Whole30-compliant.
For the Meatballs
- 2 tbs Lard or other cooking fat
- 1 small yellow Onion, grated
- 2 large Carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 lb Ground Turkey Thighs
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- 2 Eggs (or 1/2 cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce)
- 2 tsp Fresh Sage, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
For the Sauce
- 56 oz Diced Tomatoes, with their juices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt the lard. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, dried oregano, 1 tsp salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from pot and put into a large bowl.
- Add the ground turkey thighs, almond flour, eggs, sage, the remaining salt and approx 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper to the bowl and mix with your hands. Form the mixture into meatballs, about the size of golf balls.
- In the same pot you cooked the onion/carrot mixture in, add the tomatoes, garlic, dried basil, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix and cook over medium-high heat until boiling.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and turn the heat down to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve over sweet potato noodles, spaghetti squash, or mashed cauliflower.