Get ready for your summer bbq with this recipe for delicious, flavorful grilled gluten-free and Paleo turkey burgers
Quick pickling is often an overlooked, but quite simple technique and one that can bring so much flavor to your dish. This one uses a mixture of spices and rhubarb to make the turkey burger stand out, and it only takes a few minutes of prep earlier in the day. It's things like this that make me love Paleo though – who needs a bun when a burger is this pretty?
The pickles are also great over chicken or fish so don't feel limited by having to make a turkey burger.
Turkey Burgers with Quick Pickled Rhubarb
FOR THE PICKLES
- ½ lb Rhubarb diced
- ½ Onion diced
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ cup Water
- ¼ cup Honey
- 3 whole Cloves
- ½ tsp Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Dried Orange Peel
- 1 Star Anise
FOR THE BURGERS
- 2 lb Ground Turkey
- 1 bunch Beet Greens or Spinach
- ½ Onion diced
- 1 Egg optional
- 2 tbs Coconut Oil
- 1 tbs Cumin
- 1 tbs Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Corriander
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Fenugreek
- ½ cup Cilantro finely chopped
- Place all of the pickle ingredients except the rhubarb and onion in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until boiling.
- Place the rhubarb and onions in a bowl or jar and the pour the boiling mixture over them. Cover with a dish towel and let sit on your counter for 2-3 hours.
- When ready to make the burgers, preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Heat the coconut oil in a medium sized saute pan.
- Add the onions and saute until translucent.
- Add the beet greens/spinach and heat until wilted. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, mix the cumin, garlic powder, coriander, salt, and fenugreek.
- In a large bowl, place the ground turkey, egg (if using), spice mix from above, and the onion mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Form into patties.
- Grill patties for approximately 6 minutes a side.
- Drain the pickle mixture with a slotted spoon or colander and remove the star anise.
- Top each burger patty with a few heaping spoonfuls of the rhubarb pickles and a pinch of cilantro.