A few weeks ago I had a contest just for my email subscribers called the Thriving On Paleo “TOP” Chef Contest. I gave them a list of ingredients they could use and asked them to respond with their ideas for recipes using just those ingredients. Sort of like how you see on those cooking shows like Top Chef where the contestants are given a few ingredients and 30 minutes to come up with something extraordinary. I was a bit more lenient on my contestants though – I chose the winner at random and did not subject them to a harsh critique!
The ingredients they could use were:
- Sweet Potato
- a Protein (like chicken, beef, fish, eggs, etc)
- ANY spice or herb you want
- any of these cooking fats: Coconut Oil, Ghee, Lard, Tallow, Olive Oil, Duck Fat, Macadamia Nut Oil, or Avocado Oil
- Salt and Pepper
The prize at stake was a $50 Amazon gift card.
Well, the winner of the contest didn’t disappoint. This sweet potato and cauliflower creation by Theresa Mintzlaff of Colorado is quite delicious and a lovely side dish! She came up with the creation with her 2 kids and said they had a blast doing it. I hear they watch MasterChef Jr. so perhaps we have some future contestants on our hands? I have included the recipe below with her permission.
I also want to mention that these freeze beautifully. To freeze, simply let them cool on the baking sheet and then place in the freezer for several hours. Once frozen remove from the baking sheet and put into a plastic bag and store in the freezer. Remove as many as you need and reheat in the oven or microwave!
Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Patties
- 1 sweet potato peeled, cubed
- 1/2 head of cauliflower chopped
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs Almond flour
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Steam the potato and cauliflower until tender (about 15 min).
- Put the cooked cauliflower and sweet potato in a bowl and mash with potato masher. Mix in remaining ingredients.
- Shape into patties or balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the tops begin to brown.
Make Paleo easier, faster, less expensive, and way more fun with all the resources in my Freebie Library! Click on the picture to find out how to access it.
Get MORE inspo!
Want inspiration for using the Paleo & AIP diets to find relief from your autoimmune disease (and making it all easier) delivered directly to your email inbox?