These Paleo egg muffins are dairy-free and gluten-free, yet have the flavors of yummy pizza. Make these ahead of time for a quick breakfast on the go.
In yet another installment of my “wow, look at my exciting life that happens during the summer but completely gets boring in the fall/winter/spring” vlog, my 7 year old son and I climb a mountain. Not just any mountain, but one of the alpine ones here in Colorado. It's called Mt. Audubon and it stands at 13229 feet, which is pretty high. There are definitely taller ones (like the famous 14'ers), but for my son's first one this was a biggie.
The thing about climbing mountains is that you have to get there REALLY early lest you get caught near the top during an afternoon thunderstorm. That's just bad news. So we left our house at 5:30 in the morning to get to the trailhead at 7 am. Definitely an early start, and because of that, I wanted to have everything packed and ready to go so we could just get up and head on out in the morning. That included breakfast.
You can see in the video that we ate these Paleo Pizza Egg Muffins as part of our breakfast, as well as some Chunky Monkey muffins from the book Primal Cravings. It made for a good solid meal and it was easy enough for us to eat in the car without spilling all over the place. I made them the day before, packed them in individual containers (plastic because I didn't want to worry about breakage in the car while driving), and we just grabbed them from the fridge right before we left. I heated my son's up a bit in the microwave but I ate mine cold since I needed to wait at least an hour to eat after taking my daily thyroid medication (I take Armour).
Watch the video and then get the recipe for the egg muffins below!
If you can't see the video, watch Mountain Climbing with my kid (what we ate Paleo)
Some of the other things we ate:
- a trailmix I made of macadamia nuts, raisins, Enjoy Life Chocolate Chunks, and Dang Caramel Sea Salt Coconut Chips
- a Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Larabar
- a fruit leather bar
- an Rx Bar (Chocolate Sea Salt flavor, yum)
- Egg salad on Legit Paleo bread and Simple Mills crackers (<- cheapest at Thrive Market)
- a bag of raisins
- a bag of Inka plantain chips
- Clementine Izze soda(had this at the very end when we got back to the car)
- *towards the end I wasn't hungry and didn't eat a lot – should have been my first indication that I was getting altitude sickness! Ugh. But luckily it wasn't bad and it went away within 24 hours. (I get a bad headaches, completely lose my appetite, and can't sleep)
The whole thing took a LOT longer than I expected, so if you plan on doing something like this with your kids, expect to take a lot of breaks and account for their slowness. However, I cannot be more proud of my son and am so happy he figured out how to dig deep and tackle this adventure with me! Definitely a great bonding experience.
Paleo Pizza Egg Muffins
- • 10 Eggs
- • 1/4 cup Coconut Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- • 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- • 1/4 tsp dried Oregano
- • 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- • 1 cup Tomatoes, diced (about 1 large or 2 small)
- • 4 oz Pepperoni (Applegate makes a good one), chopped
- • 1/4 cup Black Olives, pitted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F. If using a standard muffin tin, line the tin with paper liners. I recommend using a silicone muffin tin for egg muffins though since they just slide right out and cleanup is minimal.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, salt, oregano, and pepper. Add in the tomatoes, pepperoni, and olives and mix. Pour the mixture into the muffin cups evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the muffins are set.
These are best made in a silicone muffin tray - makes for super easy removal of the muffins and cleanup.
And just a quick note to let you know I am going to be taking my yearly short break for a few weeks to do some more camping and spending time with my family before school starts (they start in a month!! this summer has gone crazy fast). So probably no new blog posts until mid-August. Maybe some videos though, we shall see…. Enjoy the rest of your summer!!