The perfect Paleo Valentine’s Day dessert recipe that won’t wreck your diet. Also gluten-free, grain-free, egg-free, and dairy-free and NO-BAKE! Score 🙂
For the crust:
- 1.5 cups Almond Flour
- 2 tbs Cocoa Powder
- pinch Sea Salt
- 2 tbs Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil, melted
For the cake:
- 1 cup Cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours (see note for faster method)
- 2.25 cups Coconut Milk (about 1.5 cans)
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 2 tbs Gelatin
- 1 tbs Coconut Oil (can be solid)
For Purple color (per 3 hearts):
- 3 tbs Frozen Blueberries
For Pink Color (per 3 hearts):
- 4 tbs Frozen Raspberries
For Yellow Color (per 3 hearts):
- 1 Lemon, zest and juice
- pinch Tumeric
For Green Color (per 3 hearts):
- 1 large handful fresh Spinach (about 20 baby leaves)
- 1/2 tsp Peppermint Extract
For Orangey Yellow Color (per 3 hearts):
- zest of 1 Orange
- juice of 1/2 Orange
- 1/2 Carrot
- 3 tbs Blackberries, fresh or frozen
- Make the crust first by mixing together all of the crust ingredients in the food processor until it comes together. Scoop out a little crust mixture with your hands and press into the bottom of the heart mold – about 1/4 inch thick. Divide equally amongst the 12 hearts. Put in the fridge to start to harden while you work on the cake part. I recommend at this point putting the heart molds into a baking dish to support the molds, since when you fill them with the liquid after the next steps it will be really hard to move without spilling if not in a solid container.
- In a blender, mix together all of the cake ingredients, except for the colorings. Blend for about 30 seconds to really mix well. At this point you should have 3 cups of mixture. If you do not, add a little more coconut milk and blend again.
- If making 4 different colors, remove all but 3/4 cup of the mixture from the blender. If just making one color, leave it all in there. (If making another amount, you need 3/4 cup per 3 hearts, so you can do the math).
- For the purple color (blueberries), microwave or heat the blueberries just until they start to get soft and release their juices, which is about 20 seconds in the microwave. Add directly to the blender.
- For the pink color (raspberries), microwave or heat the raspberries just until they start to get soft and release their juices, which is about 20 seconds in the microwave. Then press the raspberries through a fine mesh sieve over your blender to pour the juice into the mixture.
- For the yellow color, add the lemon juice and zest and tumeric directly to the blender.
- For the green color, add the spinach and peppermint extract directly to the blender.
- For the orangey yellow color, add the orange juice and zest and carrot directly to the blender.
- Blend the mixture for about 30 seconds to get the color to really mix in. Then pour into a small sauce pan. Heat the mixture gently, stirring often, until hot to the touch. Let cool for a few minutes, then pour into the heart molds.
- Repeat with the remaining colors if desired, washing out the blender and sauce pan in between colors. If you only are doing one color for all 12 cakes, just multiply the amount of coloring ingredients by 4, so like 3 tbs of Blueberries would be 12 tbs (3/4 cup).
- Put in the fridge and leave until set, at least 4 hours.
- Once set, use stamps or knife to make the words. Microwave or heat the blackberries for about 20 seconds to release the juices, then push the juice through a fine mesh sieve into a small bowl. Using a fine tip paint brush, paint the words using the blackberry juice. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve.
To fast soak the cashews, pour 1 cup of boiling water over the cashews and let sit for 1 hour. Then rinse and use.
Also, you will notice the mixture getting thicker as you let it sit out longer (before you heat it). Don’t worry about this, it’s fine. It will thin out once you heat it.
- Serving Size: 1 cake