Are you trying to make sure your WHOLE family eats healthy, yet worried about the spooky holiday full of candy and sugar? These gluten-free and Paleo Halloween cookies are delightful and sure to bring a smile to your kids’ faces. Shaped like tombstones and actually quite easy to make.
- 2 cups Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup Maple Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Palm Shortening (room temp)
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the lettering
- 1/4 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 4 tsp Coconut Milk
- In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.
- In another large bowl using a hand mixer, mix the egg and vanilla. The mixture should look like cottage cheese.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix with the hand mixer until it starts to come together in one mass, about 30 seconds.
- Scoop the mixture out onto a sheet of plastic wrap, form into a ball, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- After the refrigeration is done, preheat the oven to 300 F.
- Take the dough and place it on a sheet of parchment paper on the counter. Flatten out slightly with your hands and then sprinkle some almond flour on the top. Either roll out with a rolling pin or continue flattening with your hands until the dough is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a small paring knife, cut tombstone shapes.
- Use a really thin spatula to lift the cookies onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. You may have to pat the cookies a bit to get them back into the tombstone shape.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the bottoms start to turn brown.
- Let cool.
- To do the lettering: Melt the chocolate chips and coconut milk in a small pan over low heat or in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds. Stir until it is smooth and then scoop/pour into a sandwich or quart sized plastic bag. Squeeze all the air out and all of the chocolate to one corner, then clip off the SMALLEST possible little bit of the corner with your scissors.
- Squeeze the chocolate slightly to get a stream to start coming out and practice a bit on some parchment before writing on the cookies. Let the chocolate harden before moving the cookies (at least an hour). If you really need them sooner, put them in the fridge for a few minutes.