A beautiful make-ahead Paleo and gluten-free dessert that is perfect for the summer holidays.
For the Tart:
- 3 cups Almond Flour
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Butter, Lard, or Palm Shortening, diced and kept cold
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Egg
For the Pastry Cream:
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 2 tbs Honey
- 1.5 tsp Gelatin
- 14 oz can Coconut Milk
- 2 ripe Bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Topping:
- 3 cups Mixed Fruit (kiwis, blueberries, raspberries, star fruit, strawberries, oranges, etc)
- For the pastry cream: Whisk the egg yolks with the honey.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the coconut milk over medium heat. Add the gelatin to the coconut milk and stir until dissolved.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture into the milk, whisking constantly. Whisk for 5 minutes over the heat, and then add the mashed bananas. Continue whisking until the mixture is thick, 2-3 minutes more. You’ll know when it’s thick so if you aren’t sure, just keep at it. It will resemble pudding when it’s ready.
- Add the vanilla extract and stir to incorporate.
- Take the mixture off the heat and cool in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile, make the tart shell: Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Add all the dry ingredients to the food processor and pulse 1-2 times.
- Add the diced butter (or lard or palm shortening) and pulse until the butter is pea sized.
- With the processor running, add the wet ingredients and mix until they come together.
- Take the gob out of the processor and using your hands, spread in a tart or pie pan. Pat it down evenly all around the pan. Poke several holes in the bottom with a fork to prevent it from puffing up while baking. Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. When done, take out of the oven and let cool.
- Once the pastry cream and tart shell are cool, pour the pastry cream into the tart shell and then place sliced fruit and berries on top. It is easiest to put the biggest fruits down first and then sprinkle any berries in the spaces leftover.
Prep time again is misleading in this recipe – active prep time is only around 45 minutes. The rest is waiting for the things to cool off or chill.
This is the tart pan I use