I distinctly remember a few years ago going to a nearby farm and seeing the trees bulging with cherries. The trees themselves were covered with a huge net to keep the birds from eating the colorful little orbs and you couldn't walk around the tree without squishing a few under your feet. Ever since then cherries have become synonymous with summer for me and I always look forward to making some sort of dish with them.
This year I decided to try out making a buckle with them. A buckle is pretty much a crumble or coffee cake but I typically consider coffee cake to have the fruit integrated IN the batter whereas a buckle the fruit is a separate layer and there is quite a bit more of it. But really, it's the same thing. So call this Paleo Cherry Coffee Cake if you'd rather 🙂
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
This buckle has a layer of cherries, covered with a cake-like layer and then topped with a streusel topping. I use Cassava flour, which is made from the same plant as Tapioca starch but is quite a bit different in consistency. I like the brand Anthony's as it has produced really consistent results in my baking with it. You can get it on Amazon.
Paleo Cherry Buckle
For the topping
- 1/4 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cassava Flour
- pinch Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tbs Coconut Oil melted
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Mix the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the egg, milk, vinegar, coconut oil, and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined.
- Scatter the cherries in the bottom of an 8-inch square pan. Spread the batter evenly over the cherries.
- Mix the ingredients for the topping together in a small bowl and then sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling and the top is a golden brown. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Make Paleo easier, faster, less expensive, and way more fun with all the resources in my Freebie Library! Click on the picture to find out how to access it.