This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This breakfast recipe is Paleo, Whole30, and AIP compliant and a great alternative to eggs in the morning. Full of nourishing fats, protein, and veggies – it will keep you full until lunch!
When you want a filling breakfast that helps you get in your recommended servings of veggies, doesn't include eggs, and is delicious, look no further than this breakfast bowl.
Table of contents
Ingredients in this bowl:
See the recipe card below for exact measurements, but here are the things you'll need:
• Mushrooms – considered to be a gut superfood by Dr. Sarah Ballantyne, mushrooms are a great breakfast food and are easy to cook
• ground Chicken – you can also use ground pork or turkey if you'd rather, but chicken is a great option that accepts the flavors well to make a quick breakfast sausage
• Primal Palate Breakfast Blend – this is an AIP-friendly herb mix that makes really quick work of making a delicious breakfast sausage. If you don't have this though you can use a mixture of a pinch each of: Sea Salt, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, dried Oregano, Cinnamon, Turmeric, and Sage
• Kale – a perfect green to complete this bowl, but of course you can use any green you'd like
• Avocado – a few slices of avocado help make this bowl keep you full until lunch and give you wonderful, nourishing fats
• Radishes -their slight spiciness adds a great element of flavor to this bowl
• Thyme and Garlic – these are used to flavor the mushrooms
How to make this bowl:
This is quite a simple recipe and something that can be whipped up quickly in the morning.
I recommend using 2 pans to make it go quicker, but if you don't have that ability, just use one instead.
• Cook the mushrooms in one pan
• At the same time, cook the ground chicken sausage in another
• Slice the avocado, kale, and radishes while these are cooking
• Remove the mushrooms from the pan, add the kale and cook until wilted
• Assemble the bowls
That's it! See the recipe card below for exact instructions though.
Make this bowl ahead of time:
You can make the sausage and slice the radishes, mushrooms, and kale during a meal prep session and keep in the fridge up for up to 5 days.
However, I'd cook the mushrooms and kale to order as the mushrooms get a bit slimy when stored in the fridge and the kale in this dish is meant to be freshly wilted. My advice if you pre-cook the sausage ahead of time would be to cook the mushrooms, and then add the kale and pre-cooked sausage at the same time to wilt the kale and warm the sausage back up.
Also, slice the avocado just before serving as well to avoid browning.
Want more breakfast recipes?
I love making breakfast recipes, therefore I've got a TON on this site and in the AIP Breakfasts Book as well.
Maple Blueberry Breakfast Sausages (Paleo, AIP)
Sweet Potato Bowl (Paleo, Whole30, AIP)
Spiced Carrot Breakfast Porridge (Paleo, AIP)
More Helpful AIP & Paleo Resources in the Freebie Library
If you find this recipe helpful, you may really enjoy the resources in my Paleo & AIP Freebie Library! There's a “dump” freezer meal plan, a list of AIP-compliant breakfast toppings, and so much more. Plus, you'll get even more ideas sent to your inbox! Get the password here.
Nourishing Breakfast Bowl Recipe
if you make this breakfast, I'd love to hear how it turned out! Either comment below or share a pic on Instagram and tag me @thrivingonpaleo!
Nourishing Breakfast Bowl (Paleo, Whole30, AIP)
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil or other fat
- 8 oz pre-sliced Baby Bella or Crimini Mushrooms
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme (or 1/4 dried)
- 1/2 lb ground Chicken or Pork
- 1/2 tsp Primal Palate Breakfast Blend (OR a pinch each of: Sea Salt, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, dried Oregano, Cinnamon, Turmeric, and Sage)
- 1/2 bunch Kale (diced)
- 4 Radishes (sliced)
- 1 Avocado (sliced)
- Melt 1 tbs of the coconut oil in a large saucepan or stockpot over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, garlic, and thyme and saute until the mushrooms have released most of their liquid, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat another pan, over medium heat, add the ground chicken or pork and brown. Once browned, add the spice blend and mix thoroughly).
- Once the mushrooms are done, remove from the pan (don't wash) and then add the kale over medium heat. Stir for a few minutes until wilted.
- Assemble the bowls by adding dividing the sausage mixture, kale, and mushrooms evenly between the portions. Add the sliced avocado and radishes and serve.