You'll never believe these are egg-free Paleo and AIP scones – just simply amazing! Lemony goodness with just the right amount of density to sink your teeth into. The perfect breakfast treat!
The end product came out absolutely delicious and I'm so excited to share it with you!
The perfect breakfast treat
If you're anything like me, you have days where you're fine with eating soups and leftovers for breakfast, but other days you really just want something you can “sink your teeth into.”
Baked goods just have such a comforting effect and while I don't advocate turning to food to soothe your emotions all the time, occasionally it can be a balm to the soul.
These AIP scones are absolutely amazing for this.
They are simple to make and come together quickly (under 30 minutes)!
You can make these scones ahead of time and freeze too!
I'm a HUGE fan of anything you can make ahead and freeze for an easy meal or snack later – and these are no different!
They freeze beautifully, so you can make a batch and freeze some for yourself to have a quick breakfast later.
But as I've heard from quite a few people who've made this recipe – there usually aren't any leftover to freeze. So maybe make a double batch? ha!
You can also make them for the coming week and eat within 4 days or so – store in the fridge if doing this.
Want other AIP breakfast recipes? Try one of these!
AIP Waffles – Crispy deliciousness to complete your morning
AIP Cassava Flour Pancakes – try these with the “chocolate” sauce – yum!!
10 AIP Breakfast Ideas – you're sure to find something here!
The AIP Breakfasts Book – over 60 AIP recipes to start your morning off right!
More Helpful AIP Resources in the Freebie Library
If you find this recipe helpful, you may really enjoy the resources in my Paleo & AIP Freebie Library! There's a “dump” freezer meal plan, a list of AIP-compliant breakfast toppings, and so much more. Plus, you'll get even more ideas sent to your inbox! Get the password here.
Lemon AIP Scone Recipe
If you make these scones I'd love to hear how it turned out! Either comment below or share a pic on Instagram and tag me @thrivingonpaleo!
Lemony AIP Scones (Egg-free, Paleo)
- 1 cup Cassava Flour 136 g
- 3/4 cup Tapioca Flour 83 g
- 1/3 cup Coconut Sugar or Maple Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- Pinch Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup solid Palm Shortening or Leaf Lard
- 1/2 cup Water divided
- 1 tbsp Gelatin use Agar powder for a Vegan/Vegetarian version
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon
- Coconut Butter for the glaze
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, sprinkle the gelatin over 1/4 cup of water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or food processor, add the cassava flour, tapioca flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and sea salt. Mix or pulse together.
- Add the palm shortening into the flour mixture and pulse or work it with your fingers until the mixture resembles small bread crumbs.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup of water, gelatin water mixture, vanilla extract, and the zest and juice of the lemon. Mix or pulse together until it comes into a ball. If not using a food processor you'll have to knead it with your hands for approx 1-2 minutes to get it to come into a ball.
- Take the ball and put it on a cutting board or clean surface that can be cut into. Pat it into a circle shape, about 1-inch thick and 7-inch-ish wide. Cut into eight equal wedges (like cutting a pizza) and then transfer the wedges to the baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- If desired, melt a few tablespoons of coconut butter and drizzle on top.