Imagine it's 2 pm and you're nowhere near your house. You meant to just go out for the morning to go to this cool convention-style show that was being held by you but you got so caught up in the sights, classes, vendors, and demos that you forgot to leave.
But now it's 2 pm and you're STARVING. The small snack that you'd brought with you had been eaten hours ago and so unfortunately now you have nothing. Nada. Zilch. No food to eat.
This might not be a problem if you were on a standard American diet and could eat the deep-fried Twinkies that they're selling in the booth next door, but you recently started the Autoimmune Paleo Protocol (AIP Diet) to help find relief from your autoimmune disease symptoms.
Deep-fried Twinkies – and pretty much everything else at the show – is out.
So what do you do?
What are your options?
Emergency situations like this are all too common while on the AIP diet. Any number of reasons could be the cause, but the result is usually the same – a feeling of rising panic.
You work SO hard to eat well and according to the “rules” of the diet when you're at home, and you notice results, but when life gets real, it can be a problem. Even with the best of planning, emergency food needs come up.
So it's best to know ahead of time exactly what your options are so that you can calmly make your way to the nearest grocery store, Target, Wal-mart, and even some gas station convenience stores and know what you can quickly grab from one of them. It's important that no cooking or making of a meal is necessary for these. They need to just something that you can grab and go and tide yourself over until you can get a full meal in.
Below is a list of items that are commonly found at most grocery stores, Targets, Wal-marts, and some gas station convenience stores in the US. Many of these items can also be found in stores in the rest of the world as well, but just keep in mind that the list may be smaller outside of the US.
Emergency AIP Snacks Video
You can watch this video to hear more details about the items or skip below for the list.
Emergency AIP Snacks List
Want a printable PDF of these? Grab it, along with a bunch of other Paleo & AIP resources like meal plans, freezer meal plans, quick-start guides, recipe books, etc in my Paleo Freebie Library!
- Clams, canned
- Chicken, canned (water & salt only)
- Coconut Flakes (usually in baking aisle)
- Coconut Water
- Crab, canned
- Dehydrated Fruit
- Dried Fruit (in moderation, check for sunflower oil)
- EPIC Bars (Beef & Apple, Bison, and Salmon are compliant)
- Fresh Fruit
- Frozen Vegetables
- Green Juices (in moderation)
- Herring, canned
- Hearts of Palm, canned
- Kippers, canned
- Leafy Greens
- Mussels, canned
- Olives, black, green or kalamata (avoid ones with pimentos)
- Oysters, canned
- Plantain Chips (look for those cooked in coconut or palm oil)
- Pork Rinds (plain)
- Rotisserie Chicken (naked, with just salt)
- Salmon, canned
- Sardines, canned
- Sauerkraut (best if in the refrigerated section as this will be probiotic)
- Seaweed Snacks (avoid soy sauce and sesame oil)
- Shrimp, canned
- Shrimp, precooked and frozen
- Smoked Fish (Salmon, Trout, etc)
- Sparkling Water (flavored is fine, like La Croix)
- Sweet Potato Chips (look for those cooked in coconut oil)
- Tea, green, black or herbal
- Tuna, canned
- Vegetables, raw (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cucumbers, jicama, mushrooms, radishes)
- Wild Zora bars (found in some Wal-marts)
Do you know of other snacks? Please comment below so we can all help each other!
Related posts you might like: 25 AIP Snack Ideas (these are some you might enjoy, but some do require cooking, online ordering, and/or more prep than the ones above)
10 AIP Breakfast Ideas – if you're lost for what to make for breakfast while on AIP, check this one out
AIP Batch Cooking and Prep – see what I did to prep for the last round of AIP I did to get some tips for your own life
Get MORE inspo!
Sign up for my newsletter to get blog updates, info on using diet and lifestyle for autoimmune disease relief, recipes, inspiration, tips and so much more!