Rainbow chard – nature’s “unicorn” food. So nutritious. But what do you do with it? Braise it! This delicious side dish recipe is Paleo, Whole30, and gluten-free! (AIP modification in notes)
- 1 bunch Rainbow Chard (or any chard)
- 2 tbs Cooking Oil (Avocado, Coconut, Olive, etc)
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Raisins (make sure to use sugar-free ones for Whole30)
- 1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped (omit for AIP)
- Pepper, optional (omit for AIP)
- Rinse and dry the chard and then cut the ribs off the leaves. Cut the ribs into about 1/4-1/2 inch pieces and set aside. Cut or tear the leaves into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat a large skillet or pot over medium heat and add the cooking oil. Once hot, add the onions and chard ribs and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add the chard leaves, water, lemon zest, 1 tbs lemon juice, and raisins and stir. Then cook, covered, for 6 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the walnuts. Season with salt and pepper if desired and serve.
*To make AIP, omit the walnuts and pepper and use a compliant cooking oil