This Paleo apple dessert is a perfect gluten-free treat for the holidays or any other time really. Easy to make and only a few ingredients! Dairy-free, Nut-free, AIP, and Vegan options indicated as well.
- 4 Apples
- 3 tbs Raisins
- 1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped *
- 2 tbs Butter, Ghee, or Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup Honey or (Maple Syrup for Vegan)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Core the apples, making a pocket in the center of the apple.
- Melt the butter and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract and stir to incorporate.
- Add in the walnuts and raisins and mix.
- Divide the filling evenly among the apples, filling the holes you created earlier by coring. I usually use the handle of a spoon to poke the filling into the pocket. Drizzle any remaining filling over the apples.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until the apples are soft, approximately 40 minutes.
- For a nut-free option, you can use sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds.
- For a fully AIP-compliant option, use tigernuts (either sliced or whole) and Coconut Oil instead of Butter or Ghee and Mace instead of Nutmeg
- For a Vegan option use Coconut Oil instead of butter or ghee and maple syrup instead of honey
- For a dairy-free option use Coconut Oil instead of butter or ghee