Don't be left out when others are eating chocolate! This AIP dessert is quick to make using carob and will satisfy your sweet tooth.
A Delicious AIP Dessert
If you're on some stage of the AIP Diet (Autoimmune Paleo Protocol, chocolate either hasn't made it back in your diet or causes some issues.
This is where carob is awesome. I came up with this AIP dessert recipe to enjoy when everyone else is eating chocolate.
Whether you make this for a holiday like Halloween, Christmas, or Valentine's Day, or Easter, or if it's just a fun dessert for you, it only takes minutes to make.
You can use any number of toppings, it's really up to what you can eat within your dietary constraints. In this picture below I have (from left to right):
- Fleur de Sel Sea Salt
- Shredded Coconut
- Chopped dried Mango
- Plain Carob with no toppings
Other Posts You Might Like
Carob Covered Apple RecipePrint
These Autoimmune Paleo Carob Covered Apples are a delicious AIP dessert that can be customized however you want!
- 1 apple, cored and cut into approx 8 slices
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tbs coconut oil, melted
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbs carob powder (or cocoa powder if you can do it)
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- Toppings like shredded coconut, sea salt, raisins, chopped dried fruit
- Place the cut apples in a solution of 1 tbs lemon juice and 2 cups water to prevent browning.
- Put your desired toppings into separate bowls and set aside.
- Put the coconut flakes, coconut oil, and salt into a food processor or blender and process until smooth. (At this point you have coconut butter. Yes, you could use coconut butter instead of this step, but I find this much easier and cheaper than trying to melt vast quantities of coconut butter.)
- Mix in the carob powder and maple syrup.
- Remove the apples from the lemon solution and then dip the ends of the apples into the mixture to cover. You will most likely have to pat the mixture down on the apples for it to stay. Now dip the apples in the topping of your choice and turn to cover. Place the finished apples on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper.
- These should be refrigerated after coating to harden up a bit and to store until serving. Unless of course you cannot wait and just need to eat them immediately. Don’t worry, I won’t judge.
These should be refrigerated after coating to harden up a bit and to store until serving. Unless of course you cannot wait and just need to eat them immediately. Don't worry, I won't judge.
Keywords: AIP, Autoimmune Paleo, dairy-free, Egg-free,
This recipe has been added to Paleo AIP Recipe Roundtable #49 on Phoenix Helix (check this out for more great AIP recipes!!)
Make Paleo and AIP easier, faster, less expensive, and way more fun with all the resources in my Freebie Library! Click on the picture to find out how to access it.
Get MORE inspo!
Want inspiration for using the Paleo & AIP diets to find relief from your autoimmune disease (and making it all easier) delivered directly to your email inbox?