This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A Whole30 and Paleo ground turkey recipe – Turkey Meatballs Braised in Tomato Sauce. This amazing dinner is cooked in tomato sauce so the meatballs come out so delicious and not dry at all!
Last week I showed you how to make sweet potato noodles. This week I give you a flavorful, moist turkey meatball and sauce to put on top of them!
Preventing Dry Turkey Meatballs
Ground turkey can often turn out very dry and blah, but by adding some moisture via eggs and then cooking the meatballs in a liquid they retain their moisture and intense flavor. This technique is called braising and can really produce some amazing, tender dinners.
Egg-free variation: You can also use applesauce as an egg-replacer if you are egg-free (the flavors of the sauce, etc overpower any apple-y taste).
No Need for Breadcrumbs
The use of almond flour instead of bread still gives the meatballs the texture you recognize and love in a typical Italian-style meatball, but in a gluten-free and Paleo way.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
More Helpful AIP & Paleo Resources in the Freebie Library
If you find this recipe helpful, you may really enjoy the resources in my Paleo & AIP Freebie Library! There's a “dump” freezer meal plan, a list of AIP-compliant breakfast toppings, and so much more. Plus, you'll get even more ideas sent to your inbox! Get the password here.
Whole30 and Paleo Turkey Meatball Recipe
If you make these meatballs, I'd love to hear how they turned out! Either comment below or share a pic on Instagram and tag me @thrivingonpaleo!
Turkey Meatballs Braised in Tomato Sauce
For the Meatballs
- 2 tbs Lard or other cooking fat
- 1 small yellow Onion grated
- 2 large Carrots peeled and grated
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 lb Ground Turkey Thighs
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- 2 Eggs or 1/2 cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 2 tsp Fresh Sage chopped
- 1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
For the Sauce
- 56 oz Diced Tomatoes with their juices
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt the lard. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, dried oregano, 1 tsp salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from pot and put into a large bowl.
- Add the ground turkey thighs, almond flour, eggs, sage, the remaining salt and approx 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper to the bowl and mix with your hands. Form the mixture into meatballs, about the size of golf balls.
- In the same pot you cooked the onion/carrot mixture in, add the tomatoes, garlic, dried basil, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix and cook over medium-high heat until boiling.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and turn the heat down to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve over sweet potato noodles, spaghetti squash, or mashed cauliflower.
Make Paleo easier, faster, less expensive, and way more fun with all the resources in my Freebie Library! Click on the picture to find out how to access it.