Looking for Paleo apple recipes? Chocolate Covered Apples will help satisfy your craving for a delicious apple dessert! Short video tutorial included!
We belong to a wonderful CSA here in Colorado and as a part of that CSA we get apples. Lots and lots of apples. Add to that, it was an amazing apple season in general here, so it seems like everyone I know that has an apple tree was trying to share their abundance.
So what to do with them? I'm always on the search for great Paleo apple recipes.
One recipe we love is my Cinnamon Apple Cake recipe, which is something we've made for years.
This year I knew I needed to come up with some additional ideas to use up our apples. I had some cake pop sticks on hand and figured chocolate covered apples on sticks were in store for us.
Chocolate is definitely a favorite treat of mine and it is something I have missed while I have been on Autoimmune Paleo. I have successfully introduced cocoa powder back into my diet, but chocolate itself is a very special treat since the sugar, even in 85% dark, seems to cause some issues with me. (See these AIP Carob Covered Apples for an alternative for those of you on AIP or that also have sugar-related issues.)
These could definitely be categorized as “Paleo Halloween treats” but I personally think chocolate-covered anything can happen at any time.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Making these is a super quick activity that even the kids can help with, and the choices are endless. See the recipe below for how to do it. In this picture below I have an assortment of (from left to right):
- Dark chocolate and hazelnuts
- Dark chocolate and India Tree Sprinkles
- Nikki's Vanilla Cake Batter Coconut Butter and pecans
- Dark chocolate and shredded coconut
You May Need:
More Helpful AIP & Paleo Resources in the Freebie Library
If you find this recipe helpful, you may really enjoy the resources in my Paleo & AIP Freebie Library! There's a “dump” freezer meal plan, a list of AIP-compliant breakfast toppings, and so much more. Plus, you'll get even more ideas sent to your inbox! Get the password here.
Paleo Chocolate Covered Apple Recipe
If you make these chocolate-covered apples, I'd love to hear how they turned out! Either comment below or share a pic on Instagram and tag me @thrivingonpaleo!
Paleo Chocolate Covered Apples
- 1 apple cored and cut into approx 8 slices
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 8 cake pop or lollipop sticks
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate or coconut butter this will actually make enough for several apples
- Toppings like chopped nuts shredded coconut, sprinkles, sea salt, raisins, etc
- Place the cut apples in a solution of 1 tbs lemon juice and 2 cups water to prevent browning.
- Put your desired toppings in separate bowls and set aside.
- Remove the apples from the lemon solution and stick a lollipop stick through the bottom of the slice.
- Melt the dark chocolate or coconut butter over a low temp. Dip the apple in the chocolate.
- Now dip the apple in the bowl with the topping you want and turn around to cover. Some toppings, like the nuts, might not stick as well when dipping so you can place the nuts on the apple as well. Place the finished apples on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Let cool and harden before serving (if it’s warm in your kitchen you might have to put them in the refrigerator to get them to harden)
Need the Autoimmune Paleo (AIP diet) compliant apples?